October 25, 2015

What's for Dinner?

BBQ Pulled Pork

crock-pot, gluten-free, easy 1.2.3


BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich with lettuce and avocado


I spent $9.00 for a bone in pork shoulder last week and decided to get out the ever-faithful crock-pot. After 4-6 hours, I ended up with a subtly sweet and tender barbecue. This is NOT too spicy; but I like to eat my barbecue with something cooling anyway, like avocado or homemade slaw. This gave us plenty of meat for leftovers and two distinct meals. WINNER in cost, flavor, and efficiency! Hope you give it a try.

What You Need

Bone in pork shoulder
McCormick Slow Cookers BBQ Pulled Pork Gluten-Free seasoning packet
Vinegar
Sugar
Ketchup

How To Prepare

Place pork in slow cooker. Turn dial to high for a cook time of 4 hours OR low for a cook time of 6 hours. NOTE:  I tried both ways and found that the pork was much more tender when cooked on low. The McCormick seasoning packet will ask you to mix the seasoning with ketchup, brown sugar (I used white sugar one time and honey the other because I didn't have brown) and vinegar (I used apple cider). Mix the ingredients and pour over pork. 

Let cook! THE SMELL IS SO INVITING.

Meat is done when it gently separates. Eat right away and serve on a sandwich or with sides.

TIPS: 1. Don't cut off most of the fat before cooking because the meat will end up on the dry side.
2. If you want to reduce the amount of fat, pour sauce and meat into a container and place in the refrigerator over night. The next day, skim off the top layer. Enjoy!

Finished product in crock-pot

Great recipe with multiple options to please your family. 

Connect with Me

Thanks for following me on Google+ or on FB https://www.facebook.com/monicawritesblogspot?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
Please let me hear from you!



No comments:

Post a Comment