October 18, 2015

Falls off the Bone

No Joke Crock-Pot Roasted Chicken

forget Rotisserie...

This chicken falls off the bone. Who knew you could cook chicken in the crock pot like this?

Greek philosopher, Plato, is famously quoted as saying, "Necessity is the mother of invention," and boy is he right. I had this half chicken in the fridge, preparing to oven roast it for dinner when work called and I had to change plans QUICKLY. I visited Pinterest, to which I am a newbie, and searched for "roasting chickens in crock pot" and, of course, more than I could mentally digest, appeared before my eyes. After reading a few pins, the gist seemed to be the same. So I took the plunge and Voila!...SUCH AN EASY WAY TO HAVE ROTISSERIE CHICKEN. For some reason, I'm still always shocked when things turn out better than I imagined or even work at all. Because in all seriousness, life can be pretty darn disappointing at times; so when even the simplest thing works, it's like "Hallelujah!"

What You Need:

1/2 or a whole chicken
Herb ox chicken bouillon powder
Oil of choice

Chicken on top of foil with oil and seasoning

How To Prepare:

In order to cook this correctly, you want the chicken lifted off of the bottom of the pot. Some people add layers of vegetables or add a rack. I loosely balled up pieces of foil and placed the chicken on top. If you have a whole chicken, remember to remove the innards. Drizzle oil over chicken, approximately 1 tablespoon for half a chicken. Sprinkle whatever herbs and seasonings you'd like. I used bouillon powder (MSG and Gluten-free) and it added a savory and subtle taste. Cook on low for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until chicken is done and easily pulls away from bone. If you use a whole chicken, expect time to be doubled.

Serve with your favorite sides. We had yeast rolls and pasta and vegetables in a garlic/butter sauce courtesy of Birdseye foods!

This recipe allows you to end up with rotisserie quality chicken and be gone all day. It also allows you to know exactly what's on your chicken...important for people with food allergies or sensitivities.

And whatever you do, don't throw away the juice. Serve it over the chicken; use as the base for gravy; or add it to your next soup endeavor.

Let me know what you think. It's NO JOKE! This recipe is a keeper.

Let's Connect...





No comments:

Post a Comment