October 8, 2015

Sweet Sausage & Butternut Squash Chili*

Oh. My. Goodness.

This is the best chili I.Have.Ever.Made.Seriously. AND it's my recipe...a creation of culinary genius. Okay, I wouldn't go that far, but this recipe is like one of those days where everything falls into place and you're simply gliding. You know when you have an idea, a hunch and it seems perfect in your thoughts...but, oftentimes, between the idea to manifestation that perfectness gets realicized (yes, I just made that up) and well, the result is disappointing. This recipe was NOT one of those moments and that's just one reason I'm so pumped to share it with you. Because it also tastes delish and is very healthy!

When I was growing up, chili consisted of canned tomatoes; chili powder; water; onion; kidney beans and ground beef. We'd eat it with saltines and butter. It was okay, but not my favorite by any means and now I realize why. First, ground beef has never been my favorite meat choice. Second, the spiciness upset my stomach. And finally, the kidney beans were too dry of a bean for my preference.

So, how did this recipe come about? I was grocery shopping on Sunday and realized I had a packet of chili mix at home. It was wet, windy and cold Joaquin weather. Naturally, chili seemed appropriate, even though no one in my family likes beans except for me. I saw butternut squash and every time fall lands, I buy butternut squash. Now, I don't always get around to cooking it, but that's a different story. As I was walking down the meat aisle, I saw organic sweet italian sausage 30% off and figured that could be the meat for my chili. 

This is what you're about to savor:


See the squash, sausage, and other goodies? I know, the photo is upside down. Still working on those skills.
What You Need  (serves 2)

2 links sweet pork sausage
1/2 butternut squash
1/2 small onion
small crown brocolli
1 packet McCormick's chili seasoning mix packet
1 can small red beans
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 t olive oil
water 

How To Prepare

Preheat oven to 375 for squash. Add sausage to a saucepan with enough water to boil on high for about 10 minutes per side, or until almost thoroughly cooked. Chop sausage into bite-size slivers or chunks. Place squash, flesh size down, on a cooking sheet with enough water so squash doesn't burn. Cook until you can stick a fork or knife through the thickest part, approximately 45 minutes. Dice onion and broccoli florets. Place sausage chunks, onion, broccoli, seasoning, rinsed beans, tomatoes, oil and water in soup pan. When squash is done baking, cut into bite-size chunks and add to pan.

Cook on medium-high heat for 40 minutes or until broccoli and sausage are thoroughly cooked.

Serve with toppings of plain yogurt, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips or just by itself. Would be wonderful with a side of cornbread.

*Gluten, nut, egg, dairy free. Omit sausage for vegetarian option.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. Great as a leftover, too. As always, please comment and let me know how you liked it and how you topped it. Also, visit me on FB at https://www.facebook.com/monicawritesblogspot?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Please share with friends! A budding blogger needs all the help she can get.

Until next time...




No comments:

Post a Comment