October 1, 2015

Abstract Spinach Lasagna

Abstract Spinach Lasagna

It looks like an abstract 3D piece of art, doesn't it? I broke up the cheese slices to create this effect.

This recipe is my son's favorite meal, besides Chick-fil-A. I don't hold a chance against it. But this recipe, at least, gives him pause.

I learned this recipe from a neighbor when we lived on the outskirts of Washington DC. We had just had our son; my husband was commuting closer to our current location to begin his career with Comcast; and I was a sleep-deprived but satisfied stay-at-home mom and emerging freelance writer. 

The only difference between this and my friend's recipe is that she added  layers of portobello mushroom (YUM!) and used ricotta. I prefer the moist texture of cottage cheese and my son didn't care for the mushrooms, so this is now OUR recipe.

I only make it a few times a year because, as I've stated in many previous posts, I don't really enjoy the kitchen. But knowing that I'm making something that makes my big guy feel considered and cared for....it's all worth it. And to tell you the truth, this is easy peasy.

I decided to name it "Abstract" because I don't want you guys or y'all freaking out about the amount of sauce, whether you have enough cheese, or are a layer short. THIS IS ABSTRACT YUM, NOT PUZZLE YUM! The pieces don't have to fit perfectly together. Serve with fresh garlic bread and a crisp salad.

Make it, eat it, and enjoy it! You can't go wrong....promise.

What You Need
1 jar pasta sauce
1 small container cottage cheese (I used 1% but prefer whole)
1 T italian seasonings
1 egg
1 cup frozen spinach
1 package mozzarella cheese
parmesan cheese
no-boil lasagna pasta


Here are the ingredients minus the italian seasoning spice.

How To Prepare

If using frozen spinach, defrost until you can spread it apart. The small box is plenty for this recipe. Mix egg, italian seasoning and cottage cheese in a bowl. Drain spinach and take however much you want and add to cheese mixture.

Preheat oven to directions on your "oven-ready" or "no-boil" lasagna. I like San Giorgio brand because the size perfectly fits the 8x8 pyrex dish I use. This box said 350 degrees. Take a baking pan, preferably 8x8, and spread a layer of pasta sauce. Put two pieces of pasta down. Spread the spinach/cottage cheese mixture and top with slices or shredded mozarella cheese. Repeat this process until you run out. I was able to get 4 layers of pasta, with the final layer of pasta covered only in sauce, cheese and parmesan, NOT the cottage cheese/spinach mixture.
Here's a side view once baked. 
Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and broil until cheese is browned. Eat right away and for leftovers the next day...YUM!

Gluten-free Suggestion
Since I'm the only one who eats Gluten-Free, I'll either boil some GF pasta and then scrape the topping and filling onto my pasta or do the same thing over brown rice. 

The finished side view. My son gobbled it down right after school. Healthy and nutritious meal before sports.


If I can make this, you can too. If you don't like spinach, substitute brocolli or remove veggies. Use a homemade sauce, try ricotta, layer with zucchini. Make it your own.

And, as always, please SHARE with friends and LET ME KNOW how you liked it!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment